Brighton & Hove Autumn ESOL Provision 2022
Updates and information on local ESOL provisions for the Autumn 2022, including provider, level, and location.
We have created an online padlet that combines useful information for migrants in Brighton & Hove, as well as those supporting service users in the city. The resource includes links to services for; immigration advice, wellbeing, signposting, food, support groups, and education.
If you have a service to be added to the padlet, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Open the padlet in a new tab to view and scroll through all the resources.
How Brighton & Hove residents can help refugees in Brighton, including those arriving from Afghanistan - A guide by B&H City Council.
(A message from the local council, PDF above)
“We’re working to make sure we have the necessary support networks in place and are in urgent need of large, self-contained private sector properties to help families resettle in the city. If any landlords can offer us properties on a long-term basis to support this humanitarian crisis, please email email@example.com. ”
Volunteering your time
• You can view city wide volunteering opportunities in Brighton & Hove on the Community Works website: Volunteering opportunities in Brighton, Hove, Adur & Worthing : Community Works
• Refugee Radio – supporting refugees, asylum seekers and vulnerable migrants run befriending services and a mental health support group and are
often looking for volunteers, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
• The Migrant English Project – Welcoming asylum seekers, refugees and migrants to Brighton and Hove.
• Brighton Exiled/Refugee Trauma Service (BERTS) periodically look to recruit volunteers for their befriending scheme.
• The Hummingbird Project works creatively 1:1 and in groups with young refugees in Brighton.
• Conversation-Borders regularly
looks for volunteers to support with English conversational support.
While the council is only looking for long-term self-contained accommodation, there are a number of organisations you can contact if you have a spare room or short term space you would like to offer:
• Refugees at Home Be A Host – Refugees At Home connects those with a spare room in their home to refugees and asylum seekers in need of
somewhere to stay.
• Room for Refugees offer a similar service.
• Thousand 4 £1000 – Making homes for refugees thousand4thousand.org.uk is a Brighton-based charity which pools hundreds of small regular donations to provide temporary accommodation.
Fostering and Supported Lodging
• For information on fostering young refugees and asylum seekers please see: Fostering and adoption (brighton-hove.gov.uk).
• For information on supporting young refugees and asylum seekers leaving care please see: Supported lodgings for young people (brighton-hove.gov.uk)
or contact email@example.com
Material goods and food donations
• For clothes, toiletries and similar donations, please contact Care4Calais who will distribute to refugees and asylum seekers in need, both in the Brighton & Hove area and nationally. They also regularly seek volunteers to support them. Brighton@care4calais.org
• For toys and other children’s items, please consider donating to: Pelican Parcels who take pre-loved and new item donations for babies and children
up to age of 10, and redistribute them to families facing financial hardship via various existing family services in Brighton & Hove in Sussex. https://www.pelicanparcels.org.uk/
• Charity Shops! Refugees and asylum seekers in Brighton & Hove use local charity shops to buy affordable clothes and other items, like anyone else, and this enables them to make their own choices.
Right to Remain Toolkit
“The Right to Remain Toolkit is free to use, and it’s for people who want to learn more about the legal process, or a particular part of the legal process. You might be making an application or are thinking about it; you might be helping someone else to do so.”
Useful links & Resources
Brighton & Hove Unemlpoyed Centre Families Project – Free hot meals on specific weekdays, check website for updates