Leave to Remain


Man making written notes

What is a Leave to Remain ‘Partner’ application?

If your partner is British, settled in the UK, an EEA national, has Refugee status, or is in the UK with Humanitarian Protection, you may be able to apply for Leave to Remain on the basis of your relationship with them. There are also requirements to show a good level of English and income that usually need to be met in order to succeed in this type of application.

Application Requirements

All documents need to include a date, and a signature where necessary. Documents that need a signature are: letters, tenancy agreements, forms, certificates, or any evidence you get from someone else (your employer)

Gather as much evidence and information as you can.

It is important you send your documents in a clear and organised method.

What do I need?

These documents are essential for the Leave to Remain 'Partner' application.


  • VIE consent form signed on all pages, select the tick boxes to show who we can contact.

  • Home office verification checks form 
    • Part 1 signed by applicant if only including own bank statements

    • Part 2 signed by partner if including joint bank statements

    • Part 3 signed by third party if including bank statements from someone else


One of the following:

  • Valid passport

  • Valid national ID card (not BRP)

  • Expired passport

  • Expired national ID card

If you do not have any of the above you must provide an explanation as to why an ID document cannot be provided.

  • Biometric residence permit (if issued) Also for the dependant

Financial Evidence

  • bank statements, building society savings books, payslips or other formal documents showing income for the last 6 months.​

  • 6 months of bank statements All accounts you hold, including savings account

Evidence of public funds

  • Most recently received letters confirming what welfare benefits you receive, e.g child tax credits, child benefits or DWP​

Additional Documents


For your Partner

A partner is a spouse/civil partner/living together for 2 years.

If you have a partner in the UK, you must provide the below documents

​​Your partner must provide these documents, and be submitted to the caseworker by the applicant.

  • Valid passport, national identity card or travel document showing his/her​ current immigration status​

  • Marriage certificate OR civil partnership certificate

Evidence of correspondence

  • 6 items of correspondence addressed to you and your partner at the same address as evidence that you have been living together since your last grant of leave in this category, or for the past 2 years if this is your first period of leave in this category. The dates of the items of correspondence should be spread evenly over the whole period you are relying on. They should be from at least 3 different sources. If you do not have enough items in your joint names, you may also provide items addressed to each of you individually if they show the same address for both of you.​

  • ​Letters or other documents from government departments or agencies, for example: Department for Work and Pensions, Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency, TV Licensing​

  • Letters or other documents from your GP, a hospital or other local health service about medical treatments, appointments, home visits or other medical matters

Official documents and bills:

  • Council tax bills or statements​

  • Electricity and/or gas bills or statements​​

  • Water rates bills or statements​

  • Mortgage statements/agreement​​

  • Tenancy agreement(s)​​

  • Telephone bills or statements

If you have a child/children

You must provide your child’s documents:


  • ORIGINAL full birth certificate(s) which show the parents’ names.

  • Passports/travel documents to confirm your child’s immigration, settlement or citizenship status.

  •  Biometric residence permit if your child has been issued with one since entering the UK.

  • Evidence of where your child/children normally lives and that you and/or any partner play an active role in their upbringing. This evidence should be dated within the last 3 months and can include

-Official correspondence addressed to the child/children, doctor’s/hospital letters on official headed paper stating the child’s/children’s registered address

– School/nursery letter(s) on headed paper stating the child’s/children’s registered address.

  • If you have access rights to your child a court document issued by the courts showing your access rights; and/or evidence from your former partner that you have access rights.

  • Evidence of your and/or any partner’s parental responsibility for the child/children.

  • Evidence of where you and/or any partner lives, as the parent of the child/children.

  • Evidence of anything else you would like us to consider regarding your child’s life, both in the UK and outside the UK.

Once you have gathered all of the evidence needs for the application, you will need to record and send it to your caseworker. This page shows you how to use a photocopier & scanner, how to printscreen pages from your computer and phone, and how to electroncially send documents to your caseworker.