Fee Waiver

woman using calculator

What is a fee waiver application?

A fee waiver application may be submitted if you do not have the funds to pay for Home Office application fees or the Immigration Health Surcharge. A fee waiver is only available for certain types of application and focuses on income and expenditure. In order to succeed in a fee waiver application it is necessary to show that you are destitute, payment of the fee would make you destitute or that the fee is unaffordable.

Application Requirements

All documents need to include a date, and a signature where necessary. Documents that need a signature are: letters, tenancy agreements, forms, certificates, or any evidence you get from someone else (your employer)

Gather as much evidence and information as you can.

It is important you send your documents in a clear and organised method.

What do I need?

These documents are essential for the fee waiver application.
  • Signed on both pages, select the tick boxes to show who we can contact.

Home office verification checks form 
  • Part 1 signed by applicant if only including own bank statements

  • Part 2 signed by partner if including joint bank statements

  • Part 3 signed by third party if including bank statements from someone else


One of the following:

  • Valid passport

  • Valid national ID card (not BRP)

  • Expired passport

  • Expired national ID card

    If you do not have any of the above you must provide an explanation as to why an ID document cannot be provided.

6 Months of bank statements

(unless you do not have a bank account)

  • All accounts you hold, including savings account

Proof of housing

  • One of the following:

  • Tenancy agreement

  • Housing agreement

  • Letter from your accommodation provider to confirm that they house you but cannot afford to pay

Addresses of all accommodation lived at in last 5 years, including dates

Additional Documents

Not all the below options will apply to you, you just need information that is relevant to your life and application.

star icon

If you are employed

  • Payslips for the last 6 months

  • A letter from your employer on headed paper to confirm your job title, your salary (if you receive a salary), whether you are employed salary/agency worker/zero hour contract etc., when you began working for them

star icon

If you are receiving section 17 children act or care act support

  • A letter from social worker confirming: that monetary support and/or accommodation is being provided, when this began, how much support per week/month, why support is provided, and whether this can continue

star icon

If you have leave to remain, or have had it in the past

  • Your Biometric Residence Permit

  • Letter confirming your most recent grant of leave to remain

  • Other letters confirming previous grants of leave to remain

star icon

If you live with a spouse or civil partner

  • Their passport or other ID document

  • Their Biometric Residence Permit (if they have one)

  • 6 months bank statements for all their accounts

  • A letter confirming that you live with them but they cannot contribute towards the Home Office fees

  • Marriage certificate or certificate of civil partnership

star icon

If you have children

  • Their passport or other ID document (if they have one)

  • Their Biometric Residence Permit (if they have one)

  • Registration certificate if child registered as British but does not yet have a passport

  • Their birth certificate

  • 6 months bank statements for all their accounts (if they hold one)


star icon

If you pay bills or have any other spending commitments 

  • Most recent council tax bill

  • Utility bills (from last 3 months if possible) – water/gas/electricity. If on a keycard it is helpful to have receipts

  • Evidence of any other regular outgoings e.g. activities for children, tv license, phone bills, WIFI etc.


star icon

If you are receiving welfare benefits

  • Letters from DWP confirming receipt of benefits, including amounts

  • Letter from local council regarding housing benefit (if received)

  • Universal Credit statements for last 6 months  

Once you have gathered all of the evidence needs for the application, you will need to record and send it to your caseworker. This page shows you how to use a photocopier & scanner, how to printscreen pages from your computer and phone, and how to electroncially send documents to your caseworker.