Leave to Remain

Private Life in the UK


Application Requirements

All documents need to include a date, and a signature where necessary. Documents that need a signature are: letters, tenancy agreements, forms, certificates, or any evidence you get from someone else (your employer)

Gather as much evidence and information as you can.

It is important you send your documents in a clear and organised method.

You can apply for Leave for Remain on the basis of your Private Life in the UK if any of the following you:

  • If you have lived continuously in the UK for at least 20 years (discounting any period of imprisonment)

  • If you are under the age of 18 and have lived continuously in the UK for at least 7 years (discounting any period of imprisonment) and it would not be reasonable to expect you to to leave the UK.


  • If you are aged 18 years or above and under 25 years and have spent at least half of your life living continuously in the UK (discounting any period of imprisonment).​

  • If you are aged 18 years or above, have lived continuously in the UK for less than 20 years (discounting any period of imprisonment) but there would be very significant obstacles to your integration into the country to which you would have to go if required to leave the UK.

Private Life in the UK

These documents are essential for the Leave to Remain application.

  • VIE consent form signed on all pages, select the tick boxes to show who we can contact.
  • Home office verification checks form 
    • Part 1 signed by applicant if only including own bank statements

    • Part 2 signed by partner if including joint bank statements

    • Part 3 signed by third party if including bank statements from someone els


One of the following:

  • Valid passport

  • Valid national ID card (not BRP)

  • Expired passport

  • Expired national ID card

If you do not have any of the above you must provide an explanation as to why an ID document cannot be provided. It is helpful to have written evidence as to why you are unable to obtain an ID document. 

Financial Evidence

  • 6 months of bank statements all accounts you hold, including savings account, building society savings books, payslips or other formal documents showing income for the last 6 months.

Evidence of public funds

  • Most recently received letters confirming what welfare benefits you receive, e.g child tax credits, child benefits or DWP


Documents provided must cover each year for the whole length of the claimed period of residence. Some examples of evidence of residence in the UK are:

  • Home Office letter(s) or other document(s) granting leave to enter and/or remain in the UK

  • Doctor’s letter(s) showing registration and letters from hospital(s) or other local health service(s)
  • Council tax letter(s) or bills

  • Gas, electricity and water or other domestic bills or statements for each year.

  • National Insurance contribution records or P60/P45 forms.

  • HM Revenue and Customs/Inland Revenue letter(s) and/or P60 statements of income tax paid.

  • Employer(s) letter(s) confirming dates of employment. Department for Work and Pensions letter(s) and letters or other documents from other government departments or agencies.

  • Full birth certificate(s) which show the parents’ names for any children.

  • Mortgage document(s) showing any property owned in the UK and/or a letter from the landlord confirming the period of tenancy.

  • Other official documentation on headed paper. 

  • For any children included on the application, items addressed to them, or official documents/ letters on headed paper all evidencing the child’s continuous residence, for example, letters from a GP or hospital, letters from nursery/school etc.

Guide for headed and official paperwork

Once you have gathered all of the evidence needs for the application, you will need to record and send it to your caseworker. This page shows you how to use a photocopier & scanner, how to printscreen pages from your computer and phone, and how to electroncially send documents to your caseworker.